Saturday, January 29, 2011

Catching Some ZZZZ's

Our granddaughter is used to taking her daytime naps in a room that is very dark. Whenever she's at our house she doesn't nap very well and we think it might be because the room where she naps gets the afternoon sun. Soooo, I thought I would see if I could darken the room some.

Since we have shutters, I don't have drapes or curtains to add the room darkening lining. HOWEVER, I realized since the windows were not very wide, I could find some spring curtain rods that would fit the opening.

Armed with a 50% off coupon from our local fabric store, I bought some room darkening drapery lining and made a panel for each window. It worked up really fast since that material doesn't fray so didn't need a hem on the sides or bottom. I only had to make the pocket at the top for the rod.
This is the window that needed darkening.

I've hung one side

Makes a difference, don't you think?
By the time I finished both sides, it was the middle of the afternoon and the sun would have been streaming into that room but it was really dark. The panels are super easy to put in and remove, so they'll only be in place when Little Bit is over.
~Nancy~

2 comments:

  1. That's the difference between you and me -- I would have just hung up large black trash bags. You can run rods through them too.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Grammy! Hope our sweet (but stubborn) little girl appreciates your hard work! She can show her appreciation by napping!

    ReplyDelete