Monday, July 23, 2012

Book Racks

I've had this "to do" on the list for quite some time. Nancy wanted a set of book racks mounted in the bedroom where the grandkids' toy closet is located so various reading books could be at hand at all times - at heights that each grandchild could reach without adult help. My driveway pad makes for an ideal project area to do my cutting and sanding. Cleanup at the end is very easy - I just break out my leaf blower and blow all the dust off my equipment and over into the grass. Of course, this time of year it can get really hot out on the cement - so I make use of various porch umbrellas to help break the direct sun...
A bit of carpentry glue along the edges make for a good bond, in combination with brad nails...
Some "smallish" clamps hold things together very nicely as the glue sets up, and enables the pieces to be nailed together without problems...
I used my air brad nailer to assemble the book racks. A little glue and a brad nail here and there make for an easy assembly. I can't believe I worked various projects for so many years before I found out how much easier it is to assemble wookworking projects with air nailers!
I backed the cars out onto the driveway, then hung these three book racks in the middle of the garage and proceeded to use a couple of cans of green spray paint to get them covered...
I left them hanging overnight so they would be dried completely, then began the assembly process on the wall in the bedroom. This little section of wall is between the toy closet door and the window which looks out on the driveway. No finding studs here - just inserted sheetrock anchors and four screws for each of the three book racks. Plenty of strength there to support the needed weight...
Making careful measurements so the three book racks would all line up nicely...
Mounting the third and final book rack...
And the finished product!
From a bit of a different angle. A different height rack for the three different sizes of grandchildren we have!
They came out looking pretty nice, and I got them installed just a couple of days before the Memphis grandkids came for their two week summer visit...
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment